Thursday, August 21, 2008

all our children are above average

Much like the inhabitants of the fictional 'lake Wobegon', where "all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average" , I am convinced that my own children, and the children of my family and friends are far superior in both looks and intelligence to the average child.

Geekygirl amazes me with the language skills she has for her age (she is exactly 2 and a half). Perhaps because it seems such a short time ago that she spoke her first words (one of her earliest and most adorable words was 'butter' for butterfly, accompanied by a charming hand flapping imitation of the insect), I am blown away when she says things like:

"today I celebrate someone's birthday"

"I ate my dinner already"

" I spilled my milk yesterday"

"He wish he could have cheerios too" (about her brother, who was indeed eyeing her cheerios)

"I like muscetti (spaghetti), it's a different kind of pasta"

and my favourite, from last week

"how are you feeling, Mummy?"

I feel that this is one of the most rewarding things about being a parent, to watch their minds and emotions unfurl and bloom through the aquisition of language.

Which is a good job, because it seems that geekygirl has inherited from one of her parents (who me?!) the need to use six words when one will do, and to have her two penneth worth inserted into every conversation. A common refrain in the house whever her father and I try to have a conversation is

"talk to me, what are you talking about?, talk to me, TALK TO ME!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Aren't children wonderful, they are like sponges absorbing everything!

Post a Comment

I love to get comments!