Tuesday, March 2, 2010

beauty

Tara at sticky fingers has started a weekly prompt for budding photographers, enthusiastic amateurs and anyone who likes to take pictures.

This weeks theme is "beauty".

I was carrying my camera as I walked the dog round the neighbourhood recently and I snapped this picture while standing in the middle of an intersection, playing tourist in my own town.

I love this shot because the pristine pinnacles of the city are rising from the more ordinary industrial landscape that separates my neighbourhood from downtown. I like the way the power lines that criss cross the street ground the picture in reality, rather than postcard land. I love how the Coca Cola sign seems oddly out of scale. It is actually as big as it appears, an enormous neon flashing thing that could have been pulled from the set of a Baz Luhrmann movie.

San Francisco is synonymous with beauty for me.