Saturday, September 18, 2010

cooties


I've always rather liked that American term. I know, it isn't a cute word, I think it actually refers to body lice, but still, one child telling another "ew, boys have cooties" has  a nicer sound to it than saying "boys have fleas", as we used to. Geekygirl doesn't seem to think that boys have any kind of bugs though. No,  we have discovered that our four year old like to kiss the boys. Her teacher told me that she has been planting big smackers on the lips of her friends. When I asked her about this she told me "I kissed Will, because he is my best buddy, but he didn't like it, so I kissed Rowan. Rowan liked it."

I see trouble ahead.

I had worse news from school on Friday. Actual cooties, in the form of headlice. This was our first experience as parents of this plague though I had a few infestations as a kid myself. A stinky shampoo, much combing and an awful lot of laundry later, I think we are de-pestilenced. I can only hope that she didn't pass on the cooties to the objects of her affection.