Monday, April 5, 2010

been there, seen that, bought the T shirt

I had a funny conversation with Geekygirl this evening. It began with her asking about breasts and the fact that I have them and she doesn't.  (The fact that she was drawn to talk about mine this evening makes me wonder if the shirts I unearthed during yesterdays closet cleanout are a bit too booblicious)

"I will grow breasts when I'm older, to feed my babies" she told me. I agreed "yes, and they will probably start to grow when you are about twelve years old".

"Then I will be grown up and I'll go away and live in a different house" she told me.

"Well, maybe when you are eighteen years old you will go away to college" I replied.

"Oh, I"m not going to college, Mummy" she said "I'm going to a different world. A world that isn't Earth".

"Really? You are going to outer space instead of college" I queried, "That is a long way away". It might even be cheaper in 2024 too.

I'm response she said "Don't worry, Mummy, I will buy you a T shirt".

I'm off on a week long business trip next week, and have been prepping the kids, so maybe that is where these musings on separation came from. I do always buy Geekydaddy a T shirt when I travel, the least I can do to compensate him for holding down the fort.

Still, sci fi geek that I am, I'm holding out hope that kids of Geekygirl's generation will actually get to visit other planets, and I look forward to the day I can walk around emblazoned with the slogan "My daughter went to Alpha Centuri, and all I got was this lousy T shirt".