Sunday, May 30, 2010

A gothic childens tale?


Geekyboy was in full frustrated toddler mood again yesterday morning, so geekydaddy picked up a much loved book, drew him over to his lap, and started to read in an attempt to banish the poutiness.

I was listening in, and this is what I heard:

"brown bear, brown bear, what do you see?" he began

He was interrupted by a small grumpy voice. "no. Thatsa black bear"

Geekydaddy, corrected, began again. "black bear black bear what do you see? I see a red bird ..."

The interrupter struck once more "no, thatsa black bird"

And the story was thus rewritten by a dark and moody two year old boy. We encountered a black bird, a black duck, a black horse, a black frog, all the way to the end of the story where we found a black goldfish.

It got me thinking that maybe this could be a new book in the otherwise colorful franchise of panda bears, chameleons and polar bears. A darker story for the prematurely goth toddler in your life.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone because my daughter has commandeered my laptop